Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Beauty Spotlight - ft. Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette

TOO FACED - CHOCOLATE BAR EYE SHADOW PALETTE


::GASP!:: Oh my goodness, the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette! I TOLD you I had some fun posts coming up soon! IN fact I have SO many eye shadow palettes to show ya'll soon, so keep checking back! 

This palette I was absolutely ridiculous excited about. Um, hello? My favorite type of makeup - eyeshadows - along with my favorite type of food....chocolate! Does it smell like chocolate? Um....YES IT DOES. If you've ever smelled Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, it's pretty much exactly the same. Some people say it smells like vanilla to them, but it definitely smells like milk chocolate to me. Haha, either way, that's pretty darn awesome, wouldn't you agree?



"Indulge your craving for chocolate with these 16 antioxidant-rich cocoa powder infused matte and shimmer shades of natural browns, delicate pinks and luscious plums. Inspired by our best-selling cocoa powder infused Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, the collection of decadent shadows is the perfect complement to any skin tone. Chocolate Bar comes with our signature Glamour Guide with three beauty looks to get you started." - written on back of palette

First of all, I think the packaging is absolutely lovely. I adore the pale pink with gold pattern, the old fashioned looking script, swirls, dots.....oh heavens. I mean, just gorgeous!


The actual palette itself looks like a big candy bar! I seriously want to just take a yummy bite out of it. It has a magnetic closing, which I'm not too terribly happy about, I wish it clasped as well, but it still feels fairly sturdy. 


The ONE thing that I would change about this palette (other than having a clasp) is to put the names of the colors ON the palette. You can click on my photos for a closer view. You'll see that only the plastic insert protecting the shadows has the names on it. If you were to loose that insert or not want to keep it, you won't have the names anymore! 


Drool-worthy photo....scrumptious shades!

(Yes, that is a little sneaky peek picture of me, haha!)

Top Row L to R: 
Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge

Middle Row L to R: 
Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto

Bottom Row L to R: 
Hazelnut, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle




SWATCHES

Left Side of Palette


I added the names onto the bottom of each shade for easier reference.

(Click for larger image)
  • Gilded Ganache - deep brown with caramel undertones, gold shimmer
  • Salted Caramel - warm orange-tinted buff matte
  • Hazelnut - warm bronzed brown frost
  • Marzipan - warm metallic peach
  • Creme Brulee - warm metallic gold
  • Semi-Sweet - medium matte brown
  • Haute Chocolate - warm metallic brown
  • White Chocolate - warm matte nude


Out of all of these shades, I really love Hazelnut, Marzipan and Salted Caramel. White Chocolate almost completely blends into my skin! For me, that one would work best as a mattifying nude shade on my lids, if I don't want color or highlight. Gilded Ganache's golden shimmer is absolutely lovely, and the finishes of the frosts and metallics is gorgeous. These photos are taken WITHOUT primer, so as you can see, they're quite pigmented on their own. I used about three swipes for each shade.




Right Side of Palette


While the left side of the palette contained mostly browns, the right side has more pinks, reds and a plums. 

 (Click for larger image)

  • Milk Chocolate - warm light to medium matte brown
  • Strawberry Bon Bon - cool matte light pink
  • Cherry Cordial - warm plum-brown semi-matte with flecks of shimmer
  • Black Forest Truffle - burgundy-brown frost with bronze heavy sparkle
  • Candied Violet - cool smokey violet frost with violet and blue sparkle
  • Triple Fudge - matte dark brown
  • Amaretto - warm metallic auburn
  • Champagne Truffle - metallic pale pink-tinted cream



The shades with sparkle flecks are a little dry, and not as pigmented as the metallics and frosts, but they're still very pretty and can be workable. Again, these are all swatched WITHOUT primer, with about three swipes each. Out of this group I love Amaretto, Candied Violet (although it's a bit tough to work with), and Milk Chocolate. Champagne Truffle is actually quite pigmented for a pale shade, and it looks STUNNING on the inner corners of your eyes to brighten them up. 





PURCHASE

You can find this palette at several places...here's a few...





It retails for $49.00 plus the typical taxes and shipping and handling if you order online. 





FINALE

So I am SOOOOO in love with my palette. I'm really happy I purchased it, I think even though it's mainly browns and neutrals, it has a large range of looks, and a good variety of shades to choose from. I'm also pleased with the pigmentation of a good majority of the shades. The only ones, as I said, that were a tad patchy and dry were the ones with sparkle. The heavier the sparkle, the dryer it felt, but you could still easily blend it out and build it up. 

Time for a makeup finale featuring The Chocolate Bar Palette!


Did I mention I love this palette? ADORE!



For this look I started with a good eye primer, then I blended NYX's Jumbo Pencil in Milk all over my lid. I then blended on White Chocolate all over my entire upper eyelid up to my eyebrow, then Champagne Truffle in the inner corners of my eyes and right below my eyebrows.


I then started with Strawberry Bon Bon from the inside of my eyelid to about half way across, blended Amaretto from the middle of my eyelids towards the outside as well as underneath my bottom lashes, then Cherry Cordial on the outside edge of my eyelids and finished up by blending Candied Violet in my crease and up towards my eyebrows. I finished the look with a brown eyeliner on my eyelid and a dark purple eyeliner on the outer wing and of course mascara. A bit of bronzer, a bit of blush, a bit of a warm reddish brown lippie and VOILA!

Now what you DIDN'T know is that I actually sneaked another photo in a review a few days ago that I used the Chocolate Bar palette with....aha! 


OOoooooo, so sneaky! Haha, you may recognize this photo as I just used it in my newest Bag Full of Beauty post. This look was created to show the lipstick mainly, but I failed to mention what the eyeshadow was ::wink wink::. 


 For the eyes here I used White Chocolate all over the top of my eyes towards my eyebrows, then Semi-Sweet from the inside of my eyelids towards the middle. Then I blended Haute Chocolate from the middle towards the outer corners, and Triple Fudge as well as Black Forest Truffle on the outer edges towards the wing. I finished the look with a dark brown eyeliner and mascara (as well as bronzer, blush, lipstick, etc).



 Well that's it for now! I do hope you enjoyed this tasty treat review! Let me know which colors you've fallen madly in love with, if you HAVE the Chocolate Bar palette what do you think of it...or even if you're now planning on getting it!

More palettes coming at ya soon!

   

Happy Chocolatey Makeuping!





     

10 comments:

  1. I'm kinda dying over this palette...I must have it!!!

    http://skinstuffbykaty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Cookie!! I didn't understand all the hype over this when I first saw it, but now I know after seeing your looks and swatches!!! Good thing I'm on a no buy and don't need any more eyeshadow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Buy? What is this No Buy you speak of? ::blushes:: LOL

      Delete
  3. Love that palette ( I don`t have it but I have seen it) and the packaging is so cute! I love the look you created, very good for everyday wear and that last lipsticks is very pretty!

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica! The packaging makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it? :-)

      Delete
  4. Super cute packaging!! Really eye catchy :) and love the look you create with the palette, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome and thank you for reading! :-D

      Delete
  5. YOU ARE SO BAD FOR MY WALLET.
    I'm on a no-buy until I get my taxes back but this is the first thing I'm buying!!

    ReplyDelete