Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bag Full of Beauty - Ulta

ULTA HAUL
Ft. CoverGirl, Fekkai, Garnier, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Milani, Neutrogena, OPI, Real Techniques, Revlon and Yes To
  

I have been DYING to do this post for quite some time now! I've been using the products and trying everything out for nearly a month, but I had so many other posts I wanted to get done before I started this one and time just fleeeeeew by. ::sigh:: Don'tcha just hate that? I'm coming to realize, my Mom was right...time goes by so much faster the older you get! Regardless, we are going to DO THIS THING today!

For those of you unfamiliar with my Bag Full of Beauty posts, that's precisely what its! Different haul posts from different stores. Today I'm featuring my haul from Ulta! Let's jump right on into the review...


  
CoverGirl
truBLEND Liquid Makeup Foudation
in Ivory L-1
   

"truBLEND Liquid Makeup is available in 21 shades and features a new shade matching system. To find your perfect blend, first determine your shade family. Second, choose your number. Coordinate complementary truBLEND products based on your number for a seamlessly flawless nude look that blends in and virtually disappears." - covergirl.com

I've sort of neglected my foundations for quite some time, only using them when I want to compare with BB creams, so when I saw these new design CoverGirl truBLENDs, I jumped all over that! Haha, can you imagine me literally jumping onto the display in joy and pandemonium screeching "FOUNDATIOOOOOON!". I allllmost did.....almost. 

Now, I've actually never used CoverGirl's original TRUblend foundation, so I won't be able to give you a true comparison, therefore, I'll just be giving you a straight up review on this single new product. However, I CAN tell you that this isn't just a new packaging. From what I understand, it's a new formulation, being a bit thinner in texture and slightly less coverage, as well as an addition of eight new shades (twenty-one total), all within their new color-matching system. They break up the foundations into three shade families: Light, Medium and Dark, then each shade family has a range of seven individual shades with cool and warm tones.

LIGHT
  • L1 - Ivory
  • L2 - Classic Ivory
  • L3 - Natural Ivory
  • L4 - Classic Beige
  • L5 - Creamy Natural
  • L6 - Buff Beige
  • L7 - Warm Beige

MEDIUM
  • M1 - Natural Beige
  • M2 - Medium Light
  • M3 - Golden Beige (New Shade)
  • M4 - Sand Beige (New Shade)
  • M5 - Caramel Beige (New Shade)
  • M6 - Perfect Beige
  • M7 - Soft Honey (New Shade)

DARK
  • D1 - Creamy Beige
  • D2 - Sun Beige (New Shade)
  • D3 - Honey Beige (New Shade)
  • D4 - Classic Tan (New Shade)
  • D5 - Tawny
  • D6 - Toasted Almond
  • D7 - Soft Sable (New Shade)


So since I am a porcelain Irish ghost, I decided to try out the lightest shade! L1 - Ivory. 


APPLICATION AND SWATCHES:



The formula was actually quite thick, I was surprised, especially since I'd heard it was thinner than the original. Yeesh, how thick was the original! It's listed as being a light to medium coverage, but to me it seems more like a medium coverage. What's funny, is that I've actually been using it for a while now, but I stopped using it for a week or two, then I just started it up again a few days ago and I was like,....why did I stop using this?! I absolutely love it!
    

Here it is completely blended onto my hand. You can see it's a teensy bit drying, definitely giving you a full matte finish. I wouldn't recommend this product if you have dry skin or blemishes that get dry or flaky, as this product will crease and look very dry. Now, I have problems with a little dryness on my nose and around blemishes, but if I used a good moisturizer and primer before applying this foundation, I didn't have any problems at all.

Here are the three methods I used to apply:

1) Fingertips - I'm really not a huge fan of using fingertips to apply a thicker foundation, but this product wasn't too bad! I applied a pump of the foundation onto the back of my hand, then dabbed my fingertip into it and dotted it all around my face, then used both hands to lightly blend it in. It definitely applies more on the thicker side with this method, and there's a larger chance of it looking a bit cakey. When I used just my fingertips, I tried to work it in as if I was massaging it into my skin, rather than just spreading it over the top, and that did seem to help.

2) Makeup Brush - I tried two different makeup brushes for this method, a standard foundation brush and a face blending brush. They both worked extremely well! I prefer the blending brush, but that's only because I really love working the product in and building up the layers if needed, however if you want closer to medium coverage without building up the layers one at a time, I'd say go with a foundation brush, but be careful, a little product goes a long way.

3) Beautyblender - I really can't decide if I love using my Beautyblender or brush more for the foundation! I guess it really depends on how my face is behaving that day or how much coverage I want. If my skin is feeling fresh and looking clear, I LOOOVE using my beauty blender. It does thin out the foundation a bit, but it also gives me a gorgeous slightly dewy finish that does mattify a bit during wear. The only note I'll make with using the blender is that if you DON'T moisturize well before applying, it can go on a bit patchy when it starts setting. 



LONGEVITY AND WEAR:

 I really love with this foundation that it's usable with multiple methods so I know no matter what my skin is doing, I have a good way to apply for a flawless finish. I didn't have any trouble with it becoming cakey looking unless I didn't blend it out well when applying with my fingers. It didn't become oily looking at all, it had a soft matte finish and I still had excellent coverage after 10 hours of wear!



WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Yes! Absolutely! I really love that it's versatile with application methods, that it has a fantastic matte finish, great coverage and that it lasted all day! I went back just yesterday to look at all the shades again, because I felt like L1 Ivory was pale enough but a TEENSY bit yellow and with my peaches and cream skin I needed some pink undertones. I found that L3 Natural Ivory, while a teensy bit darker, has quite a bit of pink undertones, so I purchased that and will be mixing L1 and L3 for my perfect shade! Love it. 






FEKKAI

APPLE CIDER SHAMPOO
   

"Experience pristine hair with Apple Cider Shampoo, a silicone-free clarifying shampoo that acts as a purifying cleanser." - fekkai.com

Ok, so one of the things you should know about me is that out of all the fruit smells in the world, I looooooove apples! Oranges are a close second, along with strawberries, but oh my word....apples scent is amazing! I don't even remember what I was looking for in that aisle but when I saw the bright vivid green bottle and saw the word "Apple" I think I gave an excited wiggle, smelled it, nearly fainted with happiness, and tossed it joyously into my shopping bag. 

Having a good clarifying shampoo is so important to me. I like to do a complete deep cleanse, deep conditioning masque and hair therapy session on the weekend, as I do use hair styling products every day. This shampoo feels AMAZING. It gives me a serious deep clean without drying out my hair. I've tried quite a few clarifying shampoos and 70% of them completely strip my hair, leaving it dry, stringy feeling and rough. I always felt like I had to use a major conditioner or leave-in conditioner afterwards or else my hair would just break apart. With this shampoo, I still had touchably soft hair even WITHOUT using a conditioner!


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Um......oh yes. Did I mention it smells like delicious green apples?







GARNIER
DARK SPOT TREATMENT MASK


"Garnier Skin Renew introduces Dark Spot Treatment Mask, a 10-minute gentle facial mask with Vitamin C that leaves skin intensely hydrated for 24 hours and brightens for smooth, radiant skin that feels refreshed and revitalized. This translucent tissue mask with breakthrough Stretch-to-Fit Technology acts as a "second skin"—smoother and better adherence to the natural contours of the face—for maximum comfort and effectiveness." - garnierusa.com

I really don't HAVE dark spots, but when I saw that it had Vitamin C in it, I just had to try it. Good doses of vitamin C in my skincare does amazing things for my face! 

The mask fits my face well and is stretchy, as it claims on the packaging, so that's definitely a plus, as it can be used on so many different face shapes. Another huge plus is that it feels absolutely AMAZING on. It contains quite a bit of product soaked into the mask, even after the ten minutes the mask had not completely dried. I actually prefer my masks to be that hydrating, it just feels amazing on my skin. I also really loved the smell, it's a very refreshing citrus.

It has quite a few great ingredients including Nelumbo Nucifero Flower Extract (Lotus Flower) for brightening, Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract (Indian Gooseberry) and Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract as antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil as an emollient and cleansing agent, Ascorbyl Glucoside for the vitamin C, and Citrus Medica Limonum Extract (Lemon) for skin conditioning and fragrance (mmmmm, so good). Just to note, it also has a couple of ingredients that have been associated with contact dermatitis as well (limonene and benzyl salicylate), but only in larger doses. They both seem to be added to this mask mainly as a fragrance.

My skin looked absolutely fantastic after just a single use! I mean hello gloriously bright and fresh looking skin! It was positively glowing, more so than after use of any other mask I've ever tried, using creams, peels, paper masks, you name it.


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

In a heartbeat! It did wonders for my skin and left it looking smooth, super bright and feeling fresh and hyrated.






L'OREAL
INFALLIBLE SILKISSIME EYELINER
in Highlighter



"Indulge your eyes in silk. Glide on smooth intensity with our first silk inspired liquid pencil. Introducing Silkissime by Infallible. Our smudge-proof formula lasts for up to 16-hours of intense color from dusk until dawn." - lorealparisusa.com

I really don't have too many eye brightening eyeliners, and the ones I DO have are white or nude. I've been hearing so much for so long about how fantastic rose gold liners are for your waterline and inner corners of your eyes to brighten them and make your eyes appear more awake, so when I saw this product I just had to give it a whirl!

   


 The packaging is a standard eyeliner pencil. It is made to be sharpened, that gold is not a metal. When I first saw the tip of the product I noticed the lines throughout which somehow looked like the product had been pressed together, so I was afraid it was going to fall apart, haha! After multiple uses, though, I haven't had any problems, in fact, the lines have disappeared after sharpening. 


APPLICATION AND SWATCHES:
   

Oh my word, I love, love, love this color! It is the most stunning rose gold and more pigmented than I expected. Each of these swatch lines is one swipe each (thick line is single swipe next to each other). The liner does set after a minute, and can be built up on a bit for more pigmented and a brighter glow. It's not completely pigmented on the waterline, at least not on mine, my eyes tend to get watery very easily, however on the inner corners of the eyes it gives a fantastic bright glow! For the waterline what I like to do is to use a q-tip to lightly wipe off my waterline so the liner has a bit more dry skin to grip to, then apply a single coat of the liner, let it set, then apply one more layer after. It doesn't look like a solid rosy-gold shade, but it does brighten the area and light bounces off the color really well. 

It's a very creamy product, although it will set quickly. I was very comfortable using it around the eye area as it didn't pull or tug on the skin at all. 



LONGEVITY AND WEAR:


On the waterline, it didn't last too terribly long, about 2-2.5 hours before it almost completely faded away, but on the inner corners on the eyes, whew, it lasted nearly 6-7 hours! It has good grip on dry skin, doesn't fade (except for waterline) and is fantastic for keeping in the purse for midday touchups!


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Absolutely! It's terrific for giving your face that extra healthy glow, it's simple to use, has a creamy soft formula and is a great touch-up tool!







MAYBELLINE

COLOR SENSATIONAL
THE BUFFS LIPSTICK
in Touchable Taupe


"Raw. Real. Pigments explode with sensuous impact…sensational
Best nude lipstick Buff lip color." - maybelline.com


These Buff collection lipsticks have been out for a bit now, and at first I really didn't think I wanted to try them out, I'm not a huge nude lippie girl, but oh....what can I say....I'm a sucker for packaging! The colors available in this collection are:
    
  • Bare All 910 - pale beige nude
  • Blushing Beige 915 - pink toned light nude
  • Nude Lust 920 - medium peachy-beige nude
  • Maple Kiss 925 - warm muted copper brown
  • Truffle Tease 930 - medium warm beige
  • Sin-a-mon 935 - cool-toned medium beige
  • Touchable Taupe 940 - medium to dark muted brown with rosy undertones
  • Stormy Sahara 945 - medium muted peachy-orange
  • Untainted Spice 950 - medium to dark plum brown
  • Espresso Exposed 955 - cool toned burgundy
     
Touchable Taupe
   

 I chose the shade Touchable Taupe mainly because....well that was the only shade that hadn't been opened and swatched at the store! Haha! However, it was one of the colors I was curious about. The packaging is very similar to Maybelline's Color Sensationals, except that the lids are all a light nude rather than brightly colored.


SWATCHES AND APPLICATIONS:
    

 I've always been a fan of Maybelline's Color Sensational lipstick formulas, they're pigmented, smooth and have a beautiful finish. Touchable Taupe is no exception! It's super pigmented, really barely needed two swipes for this swatch and look how gorgeous and even it blended out. It has a very interested scent, something of a mix of plastic and fruit....it's a plastic fruit bowl! ::giggles:: The smell doesn't bother me at all, but if plastic scents bother you, you may not like this at all, as it isn't a subtle smell. However, it does fade a bit during wear.
  

With my super pale skin, this color isn't exactly a "nude" lipstick on me but I still love it! I love the subtle rosy undertone, and used with a pink lip liner underneath, that rosy tone looks even more beautiful. I think it's very unusually chic, soft and can look pretty with multiple types of looks.


LONGEVITY AND WEAR:

It has fantastic longevity and wear. The color stayed vivid and fully pigmented on my lips for at least 5-6 hours after application and I still had soft color till the 10 hour mark. 


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Yes! In fact, I'd like to try a few other shades from this line as well! 







MILANI
BAKED BLUSH
in 02 Rose D'oro


"A luxurious powder blush that features a mélange infusion of colors baked on Italian terracotta tiles. Easy to use, sensorial in texture, the nuances of color become extraordinarily luminous. Silky smooth application leaves your face looking healthy and radiant all day." - milanicosmetics.com

Speaking of rose gold...Ooooooo. Pretty, pretty, pretty! This shade of Milani's Baked Blushes has been out for a while now, but I guess my eye is just drawn to rose gold right now.  
   

The packaging is the same as all of Milani's Baked Blushes, a gold compact with a clear top and domed-shaped product inside.


 The platform with the blush lifts up to reveal an open space underneath that contains a mirror and flat brush. This particular brush is relatively okay, it's a tad bit flimsier than I prefer, but I hardly ever use the brushes that come with products such as this.

 

 The coloring for this blush is a gorgeous rosy pink with a bright yellow-gold dispersed throughout. It appears much more shimmery in the pan that it does swatched.


 APPLICATION AND SWATCHES:


Baked products aren't usually heavily pigmented but I was very pleased with the color payoff! The rosy color and gold mix together to create a gorgeous muted peach with a beautiful soft gold shimmer. I love how naturally it blends out and just fades into the skin around the edges. It is very buildable and even though it contains shimmer, it's not overly glittery looking. I think the shimmer just adds a gorgeous glow.


LONGEVITY AND WEAR:

I've tried other baked blushes before that just faded right off but this blush actually had some fantastic staying power! Used in combination with a primer and a setting spray, it didn't fade at all until the 9 hour mark and even after I still had some soft color for the remainder of the day! 


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Yes! It's not a true rose-gold blush, but it's still absolutely gorgeous. I've been using it nearly every other day since I purchased it. I think it looks beautiful with multiple looks including browns, blues, greens,...well, pretty much everything! Here are the other shades available:
  
  •  01 Dolce Pink - pink (shimmer)
  • 03 Berry Amore - rose berry with gold (shimmer)
  • 05 Luminoso - luminous peach (shimmer)
  • 06 Bellissimo Bronze - bronze (shimmer)
  • 09 Red Vino - burgundy red with gold (shimmer)
  • 10 Delizioso Pink - hot pink (matte)
  • 11 Bella Rosa - bright raspberry (matte)





MILANI
COLOR STATEMENT LIPSTICK
in 12 Flamingo Pose


"Make a statement without saying a word!  True Instant Color. One stroke, full coverage application. This next generation lipstick gives the ultimate in color, texture and finish.  The lightweight creamy formula contains Vitamins A, C, & E to moisturize and nourish lips." - milanicosmetics.com

I've actually already reviewed a couple of these Milani Statement Lipsticks in a previous Bag Full of Beauty post, but I just could not HELP myself! I told you, I was going to get more! When I was looking through the Baked Blushes, my eyes just jumped right over this shade sitting on the shelf and I was like...oh my. My my. I think I need this.
   

 Flamingo Pose is a gloriously bright flamingo-coral cream. If any lipstick color could just jump up and scream "LOOK AT ME!", this lipstick could. The other shades I had reviewed previously were Sangria, a matte berry, and Black Cherry, a black cherry cream, which both were gorgeous for winter months, but it's Spring, people! I think it's time for some brightness!


Did I mention bright? Look at that glorious pigmentation ::swoon::. The creaminess of this lipstick is divine. I love the very slight glossy finish, it's almost velvety looking. Even blended, the color is still beautiful, bright and has no patchiness whatsoever. I found the best way to apply this for a softer color is just with fingertips. Blotting just tones down the slight shine and makes it completely matte.
   

Because the color is so bright and pigmented, I'd definitely recommend using this along with a lip liner on the edges for a cleaner look. As you can see in this photo, there's a teensy bit of messiness on the edge. Oops! But look how beautifully it saturates the lips! I felt like it really sunk into all the creases for a softer, more moisturized looking lip. 


LONGEVITY AND WEAR:

The longevity of these Statement Lipsticks never cease to amaze. I had full color and pigmentation for at least 5 hours after application (with light eating and drinking), and STILL had a bright coloring a the 9 hour mark. Even with tons of eating and drinking, I still had the brightest stain at the end of the day. Oh yes, dahling, oh yes.


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Well, I do believe me saying that I've reviewed this before answers that questions for ya! ::winkwink:: And yes, I feel that I already need more....don't judge me.






NEUTROGENA
OIL-FREE EYE MAKEUP REMOVER


"Forget harsh tugging and pulling. This ultra-gentle dual phase formula activates when shaken to remove all eye makeup—even waterproof mascara—without any greasy residue. It is ophthalmologist tested, safe for contact lens wearers and oil free." - neutrogena.com

To be perfectly honest, this isn't a new product for me, but I thought I'd review it regardless! I absolutely love this eye makeup remover, I've been using it practically non-stop for at least a year now. I know so many people that just use makeup wipes to remove their eye makeup, and yes, I will say I do it every once in a while, but I try to refrain and really everyone should. It's just too much tugging on a very delicate skin area. When I DO use a makeup remover, I make sure to hold the wipe over my eyes for a minute or so to let the product break up the formula of my eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara, then very gently wipe off. 

Now with this fantastic product, I have a very similar method for removal that takes a bit longer to do, but it works extraordinarily well, especially with waterproof mascaras and eyeliners. I learned this awesome method from professional makeup artist, Lisa Eldridge, in a video she posted on YouTube. You begin with round cotton pads, split them in half so they're thinner (or purchase thin ones), then cut one of them in half so you're left with two half-moon shaped pads and a full pad from the other side. Then, you soak the half moons  with the eye makeup remover, and place them on your under eye area as close to your bottom lashes as you can and let it sit. Soak the full pad that was left over with the product as well and hold it over your entire eye for at least a minute to let the product sink in and break up the formula of your makeup, then very gently wipe downwards while lightly wiggling it on the lashes. The downward motion will be wiping off your eyeshadow and eyeliner while cleaning off your mascara from the top of your lashes, and also wiping them from the bottom as that's where your half-moon is sitting. You can just flip the full pad around to use on the other eye! Voila! If there's any makeup left over on the eye, I simply take a Q-tip and lightly wipe it off, that way I'm not tugging too much or pulling the skin.

The remover leaves my skin feeling super clean, it doesn't have an overly oily residue that's left over and it does keep my eyes from drying out by giving them some light moisturization, which is probably due to the aloe vera included in the ingredients, as well as cucumber extract. I've noticed that with nightly use of it, my eyes feel more hydrated the next morning and look a bit fresher. 

It's listed as being safe for sensitive eyes, and even for people who wear contacts. I've had no issue at all with any irritation, and my eyes are never red afterwards. It's oil-free and non-greasy and does it's job extremely well!


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Already have, and will continue to do so!



      


OPI
GWEN STEFANI COLLECTION
Over & Over A-Gwen


I have soooooo many OPIs to share with you, and I know this one is a little late, but I'm still so excited about it!


 I'm not a super huge Gwen Stafani fan, but as I said, I'm a sucker for packaging, so when I saw this I just...ugh...I had to. The Gwen Stefani collaboration with OPI came out early January, I believe, and I purchased it mid to late February. The shades in the collection include 4 in the Morning (black satin with soft silver shimmer), Hey Baby (bright pink creme), I Sing in Color (dark vampy red), In True Stefani Fashion (silver and holographic glitter), Love.Angel.Music.Baby (gold satin matte), Over and Over A-Gwen (red creme) and Push and Shove (silver chrome). This shade, Over and Over A-Gwen, is what I'd call the signature shade of the collection, as it's Gwen Stefani's signature lip color, and the only shade that comes in a special box.
   

 It took all my strength to open that box, let me tell you, I think it's incredibly gorgeous with her figure, signature and that polish just sitting there like "Ahhhhhhhh...." ::angel chorus:: After finally opening the box, though, you can see some goodies hidden inside!


First of all, the bottle itself, obviously. It's a standard OPI bottle, with the only difference being the plastic wrap on the cap having Gwen's signature printed all over it. That plastic can be removed, but heck, who'd want to, it looks so snazzy!


 As for the rest of the products, it included a packet of nail art Swarovski Elements that has 4 diamond studs, 10 black small rhinestones, 8 gold bars, 20 small gold dots, and 15 silver squares. It also has a nail glue tube to apply the studs and crystals, and an insert that gives you details on the collection and ways to wear the polishes and nail art studs.



 APPLICATION AND SWATCHES:


Does this polish make a statement or what!? Can I just say it glides on like an absolutely dream! THIS is the formulation I love from OPI with their creams. It evens out right away, is a bit on the thinner side, but still can look opaque with no streakiness AT ALL. The swatch above is shown with two coats and no top coat, and yes you can still SLIGHTLY see through to where my nail line is, but I don't really notice it. It just....ugh...it's gorgeous, that's all you need to know.


LONGEVITY AND WEAR:

Used with a base coat and top coat I had no chipping or major wear and tear for at least five days! Only then did I start to notice some wear on the tips of my nails.


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Positively without a doubt. I absolutely love that OPI polishes are 3 Free, and I haven't found an OPI shade I don't like! Just to note, this shade, because it's a signature color and comes in a collectors box and with the studs/crystals, is bit more expensive than the others.





OPI
GWEN STEFANI COLLECTION
Push and Shove


Speaking of the other shades...you don't think I would have gone without the silver chrome, now do you? Psh....of course not.

APPLICATION AND SWATCHES:


You're drooling, aren't you? This polish is absolutely amazing, I've never seen anything like it. The polish comes with a special base coat made just for it, called Lay Down That Base, that gives it that ultra-chrome metallic finish. Now, don't be fooled, it isn't a ridge filling base by any means, and with any shiny metallic polish, your ridges will become very, very apparent very quickly. If you have any ridges on your nails, I would recommend using a ridge filler BEFORE you put down Lay Down That Base, although that will make the formula not work quite as well, or you could just simply buff down your nails a bit to smooth them out.

The swatch above is shown with two coats over the base coat and as you can see it is SHINY! I've used super gorgeous metallic polishes before but nothing quite like this. It is a bit streaky, so you have to be careful when applying, the fewer strokes the better, but you'll still end up with some visible stroke lines. I definitely recommend at least two coats, though. 


LONGEVITY AND WEAR:

Now we come to the sad part of this glorious polish. It truly is for one day only. Even less, I'm afraid, if you use your hands a lot during wear. It's not meant to be worn with a top coat, in fact, that changes it's metallic finish, so any little bumps or taps of your nail will cause it to peel off fairly quickly. ::sigh:: I still love it though.


WOULD I REPURCHASE?

Sadly yes, I just love the finish much too much. I will seriously die the day OPI comes out with a similar product that has few brush stroke lines and lasts longer though!







REAL TECHNIQUES
YOUR EYES/ENHANCED
STARTER SET 2.0


"Boost your look with effortlessly enhanced eyes. Eye definition goes high-definition with this essential set." - ulta.com (Starter Kit)

Ok, to be perfectly honest, this set did NOT come from Ulta. I made a little whoopsie! I HAD bought Real Technique's Starter Set (original) from Ulta online, then purchased this set a day later when I saw it at the store. Somehow, I mixed the two up before I took photos and I found out once it was too late because I had already started using the products! Alas. However, they're so similar, I decided to go ahead and review the products. First, let's start off by listing the differences between the two sets:

Starter Kit (original)
  • Includes 5 full-size brushes and a case
    • Base Shadow Brush
    • Deluxe Crease Brush
    •  Accent Brush
    • Pixel-point Eyeliner Brush
    • Brow Brush
*Case is panoramic, can be closed or flipped to stand
         
 Starter Set 2.0
  •  Includes 4 full-size brushes
    • Base Shadow Brush
    • Deluxe Crease Brush
    • Pixel-point Eyeliner Brush
    • Brow Brush
    
So the only differences between the two sets is that the original comes with a panoramic case and an accent brush, however the other four brushes are exactly the same. So if you DO go looking for this set at Ulta, be advised, the set will contain MORE than what I'm showing you here.

Deluxe Crease Brush
  

Hands down the BEST blending and crease brush EVER. In fact, if I only had to use one brand of makeup brushes for the rest of my life, it would definitely be Real Techniques, I can't even begin to tell you how awesome they are. This brush is very densely packed but super soft, large enough to cover a good area, but still small enough to really get into your crease. I also use it as an overall base shadow brush when I want to make the color softer looking and not pack it on so pigmented.



 Base Shadow Brush
   

I know it seems to be more loosely filled with hairs, but man, can this brush pack on shadow like it's nobody's business! It picks up the product really well, and because it's relatively flat but still a bit fluffy, can be maneuvered and held at different angles depending on what part of the eye you're applying to and what you're trying to do. Again, the bristles are very soft, and it also makes blending a breeze.



 Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush
  

 I've used this brush for so much. I've used it as a way to apply shadow or gel for an eyeliner, it's great for getting really close the lashes and has a good point for applying precisely. I've also used it as a pin-point concealer brush, a lipstick brush, you name it, it's very versatile! 



 Brow Brush
  

This has been my go-to brow brush that I use absolutely every day. I bought multiples that way I can wash them frequently and still have a clean one to use! It's super soft, thin enough to apply more precisely, but can be held easily at an angle to build a bit quicker. I love using this with brow powder, it gives me perfectly soft, natural looking brows. I've also used this for my eyeliner, it's a bit on the larger side, but makes it super easy to create a perfect larger cat-eye!

I think I have four or five sets of these eye brushes from Real Techniques, they're so fabulous. I've had absolutely no problems with any bristles falling out, they're easy to clean, and easy to hold during use.


WOULD I REPURCHASE?
  

I have and will! I also have their Expert Face Brush, Blush Brush, Powder Brush, Setting Brush, Buffing Brush, Contour Brush, Pointed Foundation Brush, Detailer Brush, and Shading Brush. One could say I like Real Techniques, yes. 





REVLON

COLORBURST MATTE BALMS

in Shameless and Unapologetic

 "A Matte finish that’s beyond plush. Balm that’s beyond comforting. Our Triple Butter Complex of Shea, Coconut and Mango butters nourishes lips. In 10 collectible, craveable colors." - revlon.com
   

Another product I've reviewed in a past Bag Full of Beauty post and I can just hear you saying: "Cookie, I have SEEN this...I mean, seriously girl, don't you remember?". I just can't help it! They're so pretty, I just had to share! I have been looking for these two particular shades forever. They're definitely the more popular ones....

Shameless



Shameless is a deep purple matte. As with all the packaging for all the Revlon Matte Balms, the outside matches the color of the product, including the lid. The silver bottom part of the tube is twistable to push the product up.

Unapologetic


Unapologetic is a bright vivid pink with just a hint of coral. I don't know what's up with me and bright color lips right now but apparently my lips want to be the center of attention!






 These lip balms all contain peppermint oil, which leaves a lovely light tingling sensation on your lips which I didn't notice before, but seem to be apparent with these two shades.

   
 APPLICATION AND SWATCHES:




 The colors are beautifully pigmented! Unapologetic is super smooth, with no major streaking, and is very pigmented right off the bat. Shameless has some streaking, and patchiness, and for some reason feels a little more drying than Unapologetic, but is still nicely pigmented and vivid.

   


 I saw a photo of Shameless on someone who was super pale like me and I loved it...but now that I've seen it on me....eh, I'm just not a huge fan. It's not bad by any means, and I'll definitely be keeping it because you never know when you may need a purple lip shade (because I'm crazy like that), but I just don't find it wildly attractive on me. It's more patchy than I'd like, especially when applying more than one coat, and it doesn't even out well. You can see it looks very dark around the creases of my lips and even with the blot and reapply technique, it wasn't much better. It wasn't quite as difficult as Mischievous (light orange shade from my first Bag Full of Beauty post) was to apply, but still not the best.

     



 Unapologetic, on the other hand, I absolutely ADORE! It's the perfect Springtime pink! It's bright, colorful and just wakes up the face! I had absolutely no problems with it looking patchy or dark in the creases and even though it's matte, it didn't feel quite as drying as the others. 
    

LONGEVITY AND WEAR:
  

These lip balms stay on forever! They have fantastic staining power, and the color stays super vivid for nearly 10 hours after application. Even as it begins to fade, it still looks bright. If you don't like the matte look or if you feel your lips start to dry (which I really didn't have any problems with, but everyone's different), you can just pop a lip balm in your purse and lightly dab it on during the day over the color to moisturize. I did that a few times just to try it out and it didn't make the color fade any faster than before.
    
   

WOULD I REPURCHASE?
 

I wouldn't repurchase Shameless, but I certainly would keep Unapologetic around and I'm very curious to try out Elusive (cool toned medium pink), Sultry (dull mauve), and Striking (dull bittersweet red)!






YES TO
BLUEBERRIES
CLEANSING FACIAL WIPES
AGE REFRESH


"These Cleansing Facial Wipes are formulated with Blueberries and Coconut to gently cleanse, remove makeup, and moisturize skin all in one. With Lemon Peel and Apple to help brighten skin, these are a great addition to our Age Refresh collection. They leave your skin feeling clean, youthful, and glowy!" - yestocarrots.com

As I said, I DO use makeup wipes for my eyes every once in a while, but I definitely use them on a daily basis for my entire face before I use a cleanser to wash! I never just use a makeup wipe by itself, it never gets ALL the dirt, makeup and oil off. If you ever need proof of that, take a slightly damp cotton pad and wipe your face after you've used a makeup wipe. I promise you, you'll still see some leftover makeup and smudges. ALWAYS wash your face after using a makeup wipe, it just gives your face the perfect double cleanse!


   
I had to take a photo of this. I opened the flap and just cracked up laughing. Well done, Yes To, well done. 
   

I love that this package have 40 towelettes, I've tried some brands that have 30 or less and I really just felt like I wanted them to last a full month. With the 40 it kind of does, because sometimes I just a few for swatches or an extra for my face if I have more makeup on than usual, that way I'm not smearing the same dirty towelette over cleaned off areas. They do have other packages that have only 8 or 25 count, though.
   
The wipes are slightly larger than usual, but a bit thinner. They're well moisturized, but not dripping with liquid. The ingredients include Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, which is for fragrance and skin-conditioning, Blueberry extract, Sweet almond oil, Lemon peel extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, great for moisturizing, as well as other various ingredients.
   

The scent of the wipes, I can't quite put my hand on...they don't really smell like blueberries to me, they have a bit of a citrus scent, but not quite like lemons either. Maybe a mixture of both, but it's fairly strong, however not all-together unpleasant. For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of it, but after a while, I began to like it, haha!
   

I love how well it cleansed the skin, because the wipe was so wide, I had tons of space to use, and the texture was soft enough to not tug or pull the skin but still had some light weaving so I could gently exfoliate if I wanted. 


The other types of wipes that Yes To makes are: 

Yes to Carrots Nourishing Fragrance Free
Yes to Grapefruit Correct & Repair Brightening
Yes to Cucumbers Hypoallergenic Soothing
Yes to Tomatoes Blemish Clearing Acne
Yes to Baby Carrots Face + Nose Wipes for babies and toddlers


     
WOULD I REPURCHASE?
  

Unsure. I really enjoyed using them, and I love the packaging, as well as the amount I received, but I'm not completely sold. I'd like to try out some other brands and types before I decide!




RETAIL PRICES

at Ulta


CoverGirl TruBLEND Liquid Makeup (1 fl oz) - $9.99

Fekkai Apple Cider Shampoo (8 fl oz) - $20

Garnier Dark Spot Treatment Masks (1 carton - 6 masks) - $16.99

L'Oreal Infallible Silkissime Eyeliner in Highlighter (0.03 oz) - $8.99

Maybelline Color Sensational The Buffs Lip Color in Touchable Taupe (4.2 g) - $7.49*

Milani Baked Blush in Rose D'oro (3.5 g) - $7.99

Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Flamingo Pose (0.14 oz) - $5.49

Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover (5.5 fl oz) - $7.99

OPI Gwen Stefani Collection Over and Over A-Gwen - $14.95**

OPI Gwen Stefani Collection Push and Shove - $9

Real Techniques Starter Kit - $17.99***

Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balms (0.095 oz) - $8.99 ea.

Yes To Blueberries Brightening Facial Towelettes (25 count) - $5.99****


*The Maybelline The Buffs Lip Color are currently on sale at Ulta.com for $4.49 instead of $7.49!


**OPI's Gwen Stefani Collection is no longer on sale on Ulta's website, but still can be found in store last I checked (a week ago), and at other retailers that carry OPI.


***This is listing the price of Real Technique's Starter Kit (five brushes and panoramic case) that's available on Ulta's website, NOT the set I reviewed on here which excludes the case and one brush.

****The 40 count Yes To Blueberries Towelettes are not shown on Ulta's website, only the 25 count.


   


FINALE


At last we have come to the Finale! I decided to do two different looks for you, one more of a daytime neutral since I had so many neutral and rose gold items for you, and one with a bit more of a pop of color since I'm obviously obsessed with that as well!

Look #1 - Naturally Neutral 
    

 I went very simple with this look, but still something that could be carried easily into nighttime. I started with a primer, then applied the CoverGirl TruBLEND foundation all over using a Beautyblender. Then a concealer for my under eye area and to cover any blemishes. My dark circles were SO bad at this time, I was fighting off some horrible allergy attacks all during that week. I used some brown and pink-toned brown eyeshadows on my eyes, then a dark brown eyeshadow right above my eye lashes instead of eyeliner. I then used the L'Oreal Infallible Silkissime Highlighter on my waterline and inner part of my eyes to brighten them. You can see how gorgeous it is! Even on my waterline, it has a soft glow! I used a light bronzer to lightly contour, then the Milani Baked Blush Rose D'oro for my cheeks, very lightly blended on. I finished the look with some mascara, a setting powder on my T-zone and by applying a nude-pink lip liner all over my lips, then the Maybelline The Buffs Touchable Taupe over it!

    
Oh! And I did use my Real Techniques brushes, including the brow brush to darken my brows a bit with a brow powder!



 This picture, although very similar looking, was actually done on a different day. Instead of brown eyeshadow, I used a rose gold. I didn't contour as heavily, and I used the blush more liberally, all over the cheeks and even a bit down in the hollows, winged my eyes out slightly with a black eyeliner just in the outer corners, and did not use a lip liner under the lipstick. Both looks, as I said, are very similar, but the first has more brown tones, while this sticks to the rose-golds a bit. Subtle differences. I feel like this second picture would be gorgeous for day and if you want to pull it into night you could darken it some like it is in the first. 



 Look #2 - Perky Pink

     

 Another simple, fresh, and somewhat natural look, I wanted to keep the eyes more neutral, and brighten up the face with the cheeks and lips. Great for Spring!



   
With this look I started again, with a primer, then CoverGirl's TruBLEND, this time applied with a makeup brush. I used concealer on my under eye area and blemishes, then set it all with a nude setting powder. For the eyes I used a primer, then applied a light mink eyeshadow, and dark mink eyeliner for a simple wing. I used the liner softly on my bottom lashes to balance the color. I finished the eyes with a single coat of mascara (instead of multiple, to keep them lighter looking). I didn't darken my brows as much as I usually do, just very lightly, again, wanting to keep the eyes soft, and bring the attention to the flushed cheeks and bright lips. I very lightly contoured with a light bronzer, then used Milani's Baked Blush all over my cheeks, concentrating the color higher upwards on my cheekbones, rather than just the apples. I finished the look with Revlon's ColorBurst Matte Balm in Unapologetic! Loooooove.
      

Well that's it for my Ulta Bag of Beauty post! I hope you enjoyed! Have you tried out any of these products before and if so, what did you think of them? Are you feeling the rose golds and bright colors for Spring? I'm seriously seeing them everywhere and they're totally drawing me in!

   

Happy Makeuping!



    

4 comments:

  1. i love love unapologetic on you! these kinds of posts are so much fun but wow they must be a lot of work :) I haven't tried the RT brushes yet but I really want to! they sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The matte balm in Sultry is gorgeous...I'm very fair with dark brown hair and I find that it looks so sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh, Flamingo Pose was made for you! It just brightens up your whole face. Gorgeous. Thank you for the thorough reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. slightly larger wipes than usual and a bit thinner. They should be well moisturized, but not dripping with liquid.
    Love from Appointbox

    ReplyDelete